This is a guide to help you test the response times in milliseconds across different regions. You will be utilizing the Kibana/HTTP Logs view to break down the
time_taken_ms field on the edge-access-log type by the
Step 1 - Creating the visualization
- Visit your Section portal and view the HTTP Logs section of your application. This will open up the Kibana view in it’s default state.
- Proceed to click the visualize tab in the upper nav bar which will prompt you to Create a visualization.
- Select the Line Chart option followed by From a new search.
The Kibana view can be opened up in a new tab by clicking the “Open in a new window” button. This is useful if you wish to share the visualization with a colleague.
Step 2 - The search term
You should be viewing a line chart with a single data point and the term “*” in the search input. For this visualization we will want to only view the edge-access-log. Copy and paste the following into the search box to view only the edge logs:
Step 3 - Defining the X-Axis
You will now configure the X-Axis to display the data over a period of time.
- On the left hand side of the screen you will want to select X-Axis under the Select buckets type drop down.
- Select Date Histogram as the Aggregation.
- Hit the green play button to view the results.
At this time you are viewing the total number of edge-access-logs (Count metric) over a period of time.
Step 4 - Defining the Y-Axis
You will now configure the Y-Axis to display the average time taken in milliseconds for the edge logs.
- On the left hand side of the screen you will want to select Y-Axis under the metrics section.
- The Y-Axis is already configured to show the Count metric as we previously saw while defining the X-Axis.
- Configure the Aggregation to show the Average value instead of Count and this will prompt you to select a field. Here we will find the time_taken_ms option to select.
- Hit the green play button again to view the results of the average time_taken_ms for ALL edge logs.
Step 5 - Splitting the lines
You are now viewing the average time_taken_ms value over your selected time frame for all edge logs. Next steps will be to split the lines by country code.
- On the left hand nav under the X-Axis configuration click the Add sub-buckets option.
- Select the Split Lines option which will add a second layer to the X-Axis.
- In the Sub Aggregation option box select the terms option.
- This will prompt you to select another field, this time you will select the geoip.country_code2 field.
- Above the Sub Aggregation select box, there is an arrow which allows you to make this aggregation the main aggregate. Select the up arrow.
- Hit the green play button again to view the results of the average time_taken_ms for edge logs broken down by the top 5 country codes during your selected time frame.
You can include more than the default 5 results by increasing the Size option under the geoip.country_code2 aggregate configuration.
If you are interested in a select few country codes, then you can append search terms to your global search. For example:
_type:edge-access-log AND (geoip.country_code2:US OR geoip.country_code2:AU)