Applications of AI in Design Technologies
March 10, 2021
This article will go over the various design software and applications of AI in these systems. By going through this article, the reader will have a better understanding of AI’s role in design systems and how the design workflow can be improved with AI.
The engineering field has evolved rapidly over the past couple of years. Physical models are often developed to show the final product of a design model. Today, engineers rely on software and machine tools in order to accomplish this. Within the design process, engineers use the following techniques:
- Computer-assisted design – This is technology used in design and technical documentation. It involves the creation of computer models guided by geometrical parameters.
- Computational fluid dynamics – It is used in design to check agreement with the standards and structural integrity.
- Finite-element analysis – It is a tool used in product design processes to make development analyses and ensure prompt implementation of analysis results.
However, despite reliance on those techniques, engineers are still in charge of the design process. There are also new trends emerging with artificial intelligence and other innovations, leading to further system automation. This article will show the engineers’ importance in the design process and the possible engineer’s future.
It is the process of defining architecture, modules, and components while aligning their interface with the data system to the project’s specifications. A systemic approach is essential for a coherent and well-running system. In system design, a designer uses modeling languages for information and knowledge expression. Design can either be of graphical or textual modeling languages.
Elements of a system design
Below are some primary elements of a system design:
- Architecture – It is the backbone of a system design. It defines the structure, behavior, and view of a course.
- Modules – Smallest units in a system, each handling a specific task. Several modules together make a system.
- Components – They are made up of modules; they provide a particular group function.
- Interfaces – Boundaries upon which components share information and relate.
- Data – A collection of facts and information.
Significant design tasks
- Initialize design definition – It is the planning stage; the designer identifies and determines the technologies to be used on the project.
- Design Characteristics – It is the stage for defining each system element’s architecture and characteristics; also, the definition of the viability of the design.
- Alternatives for obtaining system elements.
- Design management.
Artificial Intelligence (AI)
Artificial intelligence is concerned with building smart machines programmed to think like humans and mimic their actions. Besides design technologies, artificial intelligence is also applied in machine vision, natural language processing, speech recongnition and expert systems.
Applications of AI in design technology
The use of tools like Tobii Pro Sprint, web-based eye-tracking technology, is used in developing websites. It allows UX designers to record website users’ eye movements, thereby assisting in improving website design.
The Grid is the first company to offer website design within minutes. The websites are custom AI-designed. After Grid, many other companies emerged with the same AI-designed websites. They include Wix and Squarespace.
With AI technology, one only needs to upload the data content; and they can build the website from scratch within minutes.
Turbologo uses the same technology to design logos. One only needs to upload the brand name, colors, and other preferences, and the logo is generated within minutes.
Automation of manual design works
Technology can easily automate most of the designers’ tasks. Activities like cropping images and correcting colors can be automated easily using AI.
Adobe Sensei is a design tool that uses intelligent features to improve the final product’s overall design. It assists designers in performing work more efficiently and faster. Adobe Sensei Stitch is used to identify patterns in images, edit, or even create new scenes.
Another example is Netflix, which uses an augmented intelligence system for artwork personalization. When the need arises to create multiple banners, designers only need to look at the robot’s banners to accept or reject them.
DesignScape is a system that helps in the design process by aiding with suggestions such as changes in position, scale, and elements.
It assists website designers with suggestions to create near-perfect websites. It doesn’t design the website on its own but improves designers’ efficiency. Using DesignScape reduces maintenance efforts and time taken to complete tasks.
Font Joy uses machine learning to generate font combinations. It assists designers in choosing the best font combination. A person can set different fonts and generate font combinations with a click of a button. The page will then load and generate a new font combination.
Benefits of using AI in design technology
- AI can assist designers in creating designs more quickly. It can also suggest alternatives and report how they can improve the design.
- It helps designers customize and personalize designs more effectively. Different brands can be designed using AI and be distributed to thousands of users based on their preferences and experiences. AI generates millions of unique versions, new sites, and media found on the user profile.
- It is useful in facial recognition and computer vision. It helps designers have a wide range of characteristics of users like gender, age, location, context, and mood.
- It is possible to couple AI with voice recognition. This helps UX designers create more convenient and personalized experiences.
- AI is used when performing data analysis, thereby helping designers have a wide range of information on user metrics.
AI is essential as far as the engineering field is concerned. There has been a concern arising after all the automation, whether AI is replacing engineers. The answer is no, but AI will assist many engineers with a majority of the technical work. AI in systems design is of great importance and will be part of a revolution in the future.
Peer Review Contributions by: Lalithnarayan C
About the authorPius Macharia
Pius is a computer science student at Moi University, Kenya. Passionate about technology innovations, machine learning, and web development. Pius is a writer on emerging trends in today’s world and issues generating positive impact in society.